Sunday, October 31, 2010

Ok, I Did It

At 10:48 PM CDT on Halloween 2010 I deactivated my Facebook account. I read all the tearful good byes from friends. Thanks. I’m glad my posts occasionally brightened up your day. Even Facebook put up some photos of me and Melinda and Jenna and my friend Jimmy and told me that if I deactivated my account Melinda would miss me and Jenna would miss me and Jimmy would miss me and would I like to reconsider and just receive fewer emails from Facebook. Melinda isn’t going to miss me – I’m married to her. Jenna isn’t going to miss me – she’s my daughter and needs her tuition money. Jimmy isn’t going to miss me. We are going camping together next weekend.

Here’s the deal – I want to work on one-to-one relationships with the people in my life as much as possible. Relating to people en masse lacks something important to me and leads to an online persona. I had to do enough of that as a pastor. It is not where I want to live. So, if you are one of my former Facebook “friends,” take my invitation seriously.

Email me and tell me what is going on with you and I’ll do the same. Ask for my cell number if you don’t have it and give me a call or text sometime or send me yours and I’ll do the same. Or download Skype and text me that you want to meet there and we can talk face to face or chat over a cup of coffee. Or, First Prize, let’s actually find a time to visit.

And I’ll continue writing this blog once or twice a week, reflecting on life and sharing that with whomever might be interested. But in this case, I’m mostly writing for me. I’ll write it whether anyone reads it or not. (You can “follow” my blog and have an email sent to you that tells you there’s been a update, if that helps.)

Thanks for the time on Facebook. I look forward to the Journey continuing.

BTW, I just got home from the farm about an hour ago. I'll write about that tomorrow, hopefully.

2 comments:

dkschmidt said...

Thanks for the inspiration to walk away from the idol of FB. I'm deleting my account this weekend!! And am thrilled to be free from the addiction at last. :)
Kady Schmidt

Soumyo said...

Im amazed by the simplicity of your thought and the impact of it in our lives. Although I feel, fb is just one of the ways to connect to people. But, its up to us to choose the best way out :)

Great read, made me happy.