Thursday, December 18, 2008

Older Friends

Monday morning Melinda and I joined Matt Marsh, and thirty of my oldest friends (literally) for a trip to San Antonio via the farm in Floresville. Three bright, white rental vans took my favorite route – Hwy 90A through East Bernard, Eagle Lake, Halletsville, Shiner, and Gonzales – avoiding I-10 completely. The three hour and twenty minute trip took a bit longer, since we had to stop at Buc-ees in both Eagle Lake and Gonzales. Outside of Stockdale we left TX 97 to take Wilson County Road 401 for about ten miles. Ordinarily we’d have kept to the highway that would have taken us within a half mile of the farm. But the county road experience gives a first-time visitor the sense they have wandered far off into rural Texas. By the time they arrive at the farm they think they are in the middle of nowhere. In reality, Wal-Mart is only two miles away. I told them I did this so they couldn't find me when I am off at the farm.

Texas weather is predictably unpredictable, especially in December. For example, we had snow in Houston last Wednesday. Then it was eighty degrees on the weekend. We were watching the forecasts carefully and anticipating a “high in the upper 50s” day on Monday. Turned out to be a “high in the lower 40s” with a stiff wind. So we huddled in the back room of the farmhouse and ate our sandwiches.

After lunch we took off for San Antonio for a tour of the missions built by Francisans and their hunter-gatherer native converts in the 18th century. We’d done a preview personal tour of these spots during our Thanksgiving week visit. That day had been clear and sunny. Monday afternoon was cold, windy, and overcast. But the group was persistent. We visited Espada, San Juan, and San Jose. We sang carols under the dome at Concepcion, the chapel that still stands pretty much as it did two hundred fifty years ago. The docent there said that listening to us was the high point of his year.

Finally we arrived at our hotel, got a cup of coffee, and reassembled for a walk to the Rio Rio Cantina on the San Antonio Riverwalk. The wind chill factor was now twenty-six degrees. The Tex-Mex warmed us, though.

The next morning we had breakfast at the Guenther House, former home of Carl H. Guenther, founder of the Pioneer Flour Mills. Then we enjoyed a couple of hours touring the amazing McNay Art Museum. By noon we were back in the vans pointed toward Houston. One Buc-ee stop later and we were on I-10.

This was my first trip with our senior adults, and I hope it will not be my last. We had a great time, learned much, ate well, and laughed a lot. This will be one of the highlights of my 2008 Christmas.

I have known some of these friends for twenty-five years. They were my age now when I first met them. Many of them have worked hard teaching me what it means to be a pastor, straightening me out on an issue or two along the way. Most of them have been cheerleaders, supporters, and prayer-warriors on my behalf. They have provided the leadership and financial support of their church. And they are just plain fun people.

Thank God for older friends.

1 comment:

Jeff and Janet Kirk said...

What a sweet experience to be with older friends. My congregation contains a fair proportion of octagenarians (sp?). Their steady faith and service to others and the church over long years is an inspiration. I love them.